Nakuru is located in what world famous part of Africa?

Working For Change In Kenya

Working For Change In Kenya

Sunday, May 23, 2010

I survived the bush...

This weekend was quite the experience... When in Kenya, do as Kenyans do... We started in town in Nakuru, found the right Mutatu (bus) waited awhile... for the cargo people to put all the goods on top of the mutatu, and knowing myself, my peripherals was everywhere but my fixed stare was on our luggage. The town is dangerous, you don't know...anyone/ everyone is brave enough to take your bag and run... After all our luggage was on the bus, and we're all about to die of carbon monoxide... the mutatu starts... Everyone n they mama's is on the bus trying to sell us something/ anything that can make them a shilling... Finally the bus is starting the move and some of the sellers start to get off, its still a full bus.. how you see it on tv, is exactly how it is, just worse... it gets hotter as you drive towards the equator. As we drive, we have a few "bus stops" it was more like a California stop..you know where you slow down and don't really ever come to a complete stop..yea well that kind of stop but for people to get off and on... As if the bus wasn't crowed enough we had one big stop half way. Usually an ok spot for people to get off and use the Cho (bathroom) but not that day. NOTE: DO NOT USE THE MATATU ON A FRIDAY....PERIOD!... No one got off but about 30people came on... pretty much by the time we left I had 2 children on my lap, i was giving some girl a piggy back ride with her butt on my back and to make is worse the guy standing in my small space bought some fish on the way to the bush! eek! it was an experience...but I never wish that upon anyone... and let me be very clear... its hard enough driving in a private car going to the bush, let alone in a bus! I don't even use public transportation at home... that may change...long story short... we made it to Cana Girls Rescue Home. Its a safe place young girls can come to, most of which ran away because their families were trying to either sell them into marriage, FGM (female genital mutilation aka: female circumcision), child labor, or child abuse... 1/2 of them... it was all the above. These girls were some of the most amazing girls I've ever met in my life! all soooo beautiful! Talented and fearless. While there at Cana, alot of things made me upset... Knowing how much American dollars can be stretched out in the bush... for instance.. for a young girl to go to school. Her monthly fee is 27 dollars, for pastor ChoChoi, the pastor who took in all these girls, it cost him 3 cows and 5 goats. That's alot of food all these girls are now missing out on all because he believes these girls can go far. Unacceptable! While there, Cass, Leilani and I came up with ways to help these girls in East Pakot. So when I get back if anyone has any questions on how you can help!... please ask. I know just how you can help.
All in all I learned how to pee in a hole in the ground. Took a shower with a bucket of water. Drank rain water. Slept in a "bunk bed" if you can call it that... Not as scared of insects as I was before... kinda.. It was an experience of a lifetime! I really experienced the true Africa and their African ways and along the way passed the equator.. I was in two places at once. It was awesome! I wish you were all their with me to experience it.
One more week and we're back home. Today we're relaxing...Please cont to pray for us! I miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment