Nakuru is located in what world famous part of Africa?

Working For Change In Kenya

Working For Change In Kenya

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Calloused..

We worked hard today... Woke up early like 4:50am wrapped up in my head phones... luckily it wasn't around my neck lol but it was funny... waking up in the middle of the night makes me feel home sick... I put on my head phones... Listened to some Black Keys and Incabus to help me calm down and slow down my heart. Finally 6am came around and everyone started getting up...I was able to hop onto the computer and talk a lil to my boyfriend Victor... it was very comforting... I can see why people/ missionaries out here hold on to every word people in America write... it means the world to me! It helps me remember why it is I am here! Every morning I see Kantet the helper!... Harbadi ya Asabudi! That's good morning in Swahili. He says Sawa Sawa (slang) for thank you, yes, etc... Next question is Chai?... EVERY Kenyan says it... it's their way of asking if I want tea... Chai tea... a gift from the English that they have 5ootimes a day it feels like and its cool but I swear there is something in the tea that makes you have to pee every second of the day but its not all peaches and cream since about 97% of places don't have restrooms, its either a whole in the ground or mayyyybe you'll be blessed with a toilet but no t.p. so it's very important to carry some paper of some sort! Today was a blessed day! we were able to help 2 families! The first was a young girl named Freeda she stays with her grandmother and grandfather. They don't have much but they have a Shamba, a garden and a small farm. We helped make a non grazing troft... pretty much something a cow can eat and drink out of.. they have two cows... The women while we're doing this are pealing potatoes, carrots and the other women are making us chipati. which is like a tortilla BUT wayyyyyyyyy better! Kenyan culture is much like Philippino culture... Luckily my boyfriend is filipino so I know a little about if your offered food... YOU EAT! especially in Kenya what an honor I swear for them to feed us... when they have nothing to be fed is an honor even if it's your 4th lunch, you eat! you must always have at least 2 glasses of Chai... it's like the 12th commandment.. the 11th is "tho shalt must serve chai with sugar!". It was a great time... something that touched me the most was this little girl Lucy.. She was found just a few days before us meeting her :(. When I asked a friend of Freeda's where was her mother, he replied, "shes a street woman!.. you want the baby? You can have her! Take her please!"...sad but its common to hear that... I was lucky to bless the gifts we were able to present the family with and present them to them!... My heart was happy as some would say...The next house was a...well... a bumpy road doesn't explain it quite as well.. but once we got there... The child's name who's family we blessed, her name is Helen. She is 17, bother parents have passed and her 21 year old brother took it upon himself to watch her... He cried hen presenting him with a driving school receipt so he can start to learn how to drive and gave him some staple foods like flour, sugar, salt, soap, animal fat.... It really touched my heart because I know if both my parents were to pass my brother would watch me... and would be very grateful if someone would come by from their heart and bring stapled food...I know he'd make the best of it too... So my prayer is Helen's brother will continue to take care of her and help keep a roof over her head, fresh water and chai :)... After all this we came home! I had a great surprise waiting... the helper Kantet dressed up like a Masai warrior and danced and chanted...a lil later our night guard Jalouson did the same... I was so happy!!!!
All in all today was a great day! Please cont to pray for not just us but the children who we have met, and the ones we're going to meet... Tomorrow sounds like an easy day So I pray I'm able to sleep. Asante Sana for all your prayers! Until next time
Buena Asafiwea

2 comments:

  1. I love reading the details of what you are experiencing! It's great that you are able to connect your experiences with your life at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Gracey Girl!!! Wow...this is something to read about!

    Keep up the fantastic work...stay sharp and focused as you learn the wonderful life lessons that God is teaching you.

    Continue to do your best, for the best, in Kenya!

    Love you always!!! Dad

    ReplyDelete