Nakuru is located in what world famous part of Africa?

Working For Change In Kenya

Working For Change In Kenya

Monday, May 24, 2010

sweat, heat, a bus, and a lap full of three kids


This past three days we went out of Nakuru in to what our Masai calls the Bush Bush. No running water, out-house, and the REAL Africa. When I asked the Masai if he thought we could make it out there he said "I believe". If he did not think we could make it he would have told us.....so we left on a good note of feeling we can.

6 hours later dripping wet from sweat we arrive in East Pokot. Those 6 hours were something else. The first few hours were just a "normal" Kenyan bus ride but once we hit the half way point we were in for a rude awaking of what the bus is really like! More people got on then got off. Seats full, people standing in the ails, and kids sitting on Grace's and I's laps. All the windows were wide open but we all felt like we were going to suffocate. People talking, sweating, holding things, and trying not to fall as the matau was bouncing on the unpaved 46km ride to East Pokot.

I can grin and bare a lot but just before we got to our spot I thought I was not going to make it. There was sweat stinging in my eyes my feet swollen from the heat and sitting for so long and I thought it might be better if I get out and WALK the rest of the way. Thankful by God's funny timing the bus stopped and it was our STOP. We crawled over people, bags of corn and sugar, and even a chicken to get to the door. The only thing I felt was air at that moment. Outside was hot but not as hot as the matau. My feet hit the ground and I could feel the blood come back to each of my toes. All I wanted to do at that point was drink some water and do to bed...but God had other plans!

As we got our bags off the bus we were greeted by Nelly and all the girls from the rescue center we were going to working at. These girls came out of no where; but one by one they came greeted us and carried our bags. It is custom for them to carry the bags.....with a smiling face they picked up our many bags and walked us to the center. Slowly the pains of the matau ride were fading. Once we were at the house we had some tea and met with Pastor and his wife. We got to meet a few others as well while resting from the ride.......we met a few but felt all the eyes on us. So many little eyes were so excited to see us that in the dark you knew we were being watched.


After we ate and rested we walked a short way to girls rescue center.......short way lead by the sound of drumming and signing. All the rest of the pain, sweat, tiredness, and everything I was feeling was GONE as the girls called us to formally greet us! They sang and danced for us and soon we found ourselves dancing with them. We danced with the most sweetest girls who have gone through so much to get there they are today.

These girls (my eyes are filled with tears as I write) have been beaten, used, treated like animals, and almost sold off by their families. They have been through so much, some have walked for days eating ants to make it to Cana. Cana is the safe place for the girls. A place there they can grow, get an education, and NOT go through female genital mutilation! They are screaming for a chance to get an education and a chance to change what their lives could have been and for the girls to come.

I see hope in their eyes. There is a bright light that is ready to shine in the community of East Pokot. A light that can shine for the Lord to being about change in the area. Because of this light and the love of the team.....I know change will come, relationships will be mended, hearts born again, and the horror of FGM stopped!

No comments:

Post a Comment